After the high of Issue 2, I thought I had this GMing PBtA thing down, boy was I wrong. I should have known better. Issue 3’s problems were partly my fault and partly circumstance. It was my fault because I had let my familiarity with the rules and the heart of the game lapse. I was reading up on other rule systems and not making sure Masks: A New Generation was fresh in my mind like I did for Issues 1 and 2 so I was quite rusty. The Second issue was, I had one of the players cancel the day we were set to play. Luckily he wasn’t a focal point of my prep (actually I already had an easy exit for this character in my bullet points), but the player was the kind of player that drives actions and makes decisions easily which keeps the game moving. I knew his presence at the table would be missed and didn’t have much time to figure out how to compensate.
So with a little bit of further ado, I’ll show you the Bullet points I prepped for Issue 3. There were a lot more than for Issue 2 but now that the plot had escalated I needed to do a little bit of juggling so I wanted to make sure I didn’t leave anyone out.
So here they are:
- Wolverine and Pryde discussing Options or lack thereof given to Cythor
- 2 weeks later
- Marc Hopper and Slip-stream part of the team
- Slip-Stream screws up in training Obsidian gets hit.
- Slip stream confronts Mobius about feelings
- Cythor at Beat Street Club – How has he integrated.
- Disk in Star Child’s locker – showing footage from the day of his accident. Vanisher was there Vanisher stole something sabotaging the dig.
- Mobius gets pulled out of the timeline.
I started like I always do talking about the cover for the issue. I wanted it to be something iconic encapsulating the fallout of the end of Issue 2. I asked the players and they decided on a top down shot of an empty classroom desk, with Cythors names carved into one of the corners amongst other small bits of defacement. It was a great idea and encompassed the tone of the Issue. Continue reading “X-Pelled Issue 3: GM Missteps”